With all due respect to my Dad the person that I most admired growing up was my incredible mother. Although my mom died of breast cancer she continues to have a far reaching, positive influence and impact on my life. I always looked up to her as an example of the exceptional person that I still aspire to be throughout my life. It's an honor to have the same birthday as my mom as well. I remember having a very difficult time enjoying the opportunity to celebrate my birthday the year after my mom passed away, because obviously it wasn't quite the same.
My mom was the type of parent that I didn't want to disappoint even when she wasn't able to be completely aware of what I was doing at school or wherever else. She always encouraged me to further my education as much as possible. I think she'd be very pleased that I'm getting closer to earning a college degree from a university.
My mom was the first person that I really felt comfortable telling absolutely everything about my life to. She was more like a best friend to me than a parent most of the time. I appreciate that I've developed that same type of relationship with my stepmom as well. I think there's just some things in life that you only feel comfortable with telling your mom and nobody else. At least that's been the case for me. I'm grateful to be able to say that I've had two moms, a dad, a sister, and a brother-in-law that have been very supportive of me in my life.
I appreciate that my dad was willing to work hard at his job so that my mom could stay home and watch me use my GI Joes to ensure that the basement was secure enough for Sheila and I to play Nintendo, help me make a hamburger out of PlayDoh or play basketball with me despite it probably being far from her favorite activity. I'll always be thankful that my mom was willing to continuously make an effort to be there to support, encourage, and help me through whatever I had going on in my life at that time. I'm grateful for the countless life lessons that she taught me as I grew up and the example that my mom set for me in my life. I love you mom.

2 comments:
Well said. :-)
That is a sweet tribute to your family, especially your Mom.
Post a Comment